Decree Absolute Respondent Application

How to apply for the decree absolute if you are the respondent

This short podcast explains how to apply for the decree absolute if you are, or you act for, the Respondent to the Petition. It also covers the fees that need to be paid to the court. It falls into the category of a Legal podcast.

Why podcast?

What is a podcast, you might wonder?

It is quite simple really, its an audio clip, a bit of information to listen to rather than read an article, a book or a leaflet.

My series of podcasts (when I get them going) will fall into two categories.

  1. Legal. In practice I come across bits and pieces of information about forms, courts and processes that perhaps other people might find helpful. I intend to put these bits and pieces onto the website, sometimes as a blog and other times as a podcast.
  2. Not Legal. The "not legal" series of podcasts will take the form of conversations, stories and thoughts from other people in the legal world. This stream should be more entertaining than educational.

The reason I hope to have the second stream of podcasts is that I meet quite a lot of people who have great stories from the legal world and I hope that those people won't mind me sharing them with you.

CR interview

This audio file is a conversation I had with Christopher Richards from the Divorce and Separation Centre, one of many fantastic mediation services that can be found across the country.

During this discussion we talk about how people can access both mediation services and how to use legal advisers alongside mediation to achieve the best result. We discuss the costs of mediation for both Legal Aid clients and private clients, how long mediation can expect to take and the benefits of mediation over "traditional" court based resolution.

There are a number of terms that we use that might not be all that clear, I will attempt to provide a glossary of terms here, If I miss something out please feel free to leave a comment and I will update the list as I go.

Glossary of terms

Consent Order - Most people want to achieve a final result as a result of marital breakdown. Once the parties agree a result at mediation, it is best to write that up inot an order by consent. It is eventually sent to the court for a Judge to approve.

Statement of Information (in Support of a consent order) - A short financial document that needs to be sent to the court with the Consent Order, both parties must complete this document.

Memorandum of Understanding - A document prepared by the mediator which sets out the result of mediation. This is used by the Solicitor to prepare the Consent Order.

Pension Sharing - One of the financial solutions available to parties after a Marital or Civil Partnership breakdown, is to share one of the Pension funds available.

Full Disclosure - The mediators will ask both parties to reveal to each other the whole financial picture. This includes all assets, savings, pensions and income for both parties.

Statutory Charge - If a party is entitled to Legal Aid, money can sometimes be owed to the LSC (Legal Services Commission).

islamic marriage